NEUROTRANSMITTERS & MENTAL HEALTH
Call Nancey @ 949 218 8788949 218 8788
Many of my clients present with different forms of neurological imbalances. There are many types:
- ADD & ADHD
- O/C – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic disorder
- And many of the heavier clinical disorders like BiPolar and Borderline, etc.
I have a Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology from the University of Santa Monica and am certified in EEG Neurofeedback. I practiced psychotherapy for 14 years. During that time I also practiced nutrition and earned a Naturopathic Practitioner Degree, and continued to take classes in health and nutrition.
Since 2007, I decided to focus completely on Mind/Body Health and do Life Coaching as well. I no longer practice psychotherapy. Life Coaching is focused on the positive, and is a proactive, results oriented form of counseling. For the heavier clinical disorders I refer to a local practitioner, yet it is still extremely important to focus upon diet and the endocrine system in supporting the person in the healing process. No delving into the past – most past issues are present in the now and can be dealt with using complementary and alternative health practices.
Neurotransmitters (Serotonin, Dopamine, Acetylcholine, and Gaba) control much of how you feel. 70% of Serotonin is made in the “gut” – the second brain as it is now called. So you can see that mental health is really whole mind body health. If a person has digestion issues, then the brain is often affected. There are many more examples like this that lead me to focus on mind/body health.
I use the following modalities to assess neurological imbalances:
- Extensive intake focused upon neurological situations.
- Diet is evaluated. This is a critical issue with many. Supplementation is often recommended to bring about balance.
- Computerized Electro Dermal Screening. This process screens the meridians of your body to access for imbalances. Supplements can be screened against your meridians as well so that we know which and how many will bring you back into balance.
If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have imbalances in your Neuronal Communication System.
- Mood disorders: depression, anxiety, ADD & ADHD, OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
- Sleep disorders: insomnia, unable to stay asleep, sleep apnea.
- Metabolic disorders: fatigue, low stamina, low body temperature, thyroid, hypoglycemia, diabetes.
- Memory disorders: poor recall, unable to focus or remember.
- Eating disorders: cravings, lack of appetite control or too much control.
- GI disorders: IBS with constipation or diarrhea.
- Hormonal disorders: PMS, peri-menstrual symptoms, low libido.
- Pain disorders: joint pain, headaches, fibromyalgia.
The brain initiates signals to the body in the form of chemical messages called neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters further stimulate the body’s glands, which secrete hormones. These hormones travel throughout the body and attach to the organs of the body at the receptor sites.
If there is a breakdown in this system, the message is either incorrect, or the signal is too strong or weak, resulting in symptoms throughout the body.
What causes imbalances?
- Inherited – yet is it diet related?
- Lack of nutritional support
- Low Endocrine System
- Eating Disorders
- Gut Disorders
- Hormonal Issues
- Chemicals & Toxins
- Allergies & Sensitivities
- Heavy Metals
- Improper Digestion
- Normal everyday stress
- Life events
As you can see, there are many potential causes to consider. We become a team with the goal of bringing you back into balance so you can lead a happy, rich fulfilling life with optimal health. Yes, life has its stressors, yet when you are at your best you have the capacity to work with the issues so they do not define you – you do!